Clementine kindled last night! She had one who didn't make it. I'm not sure why. It was out of the nest box, so either it arrived dead, or it came out when she did. She appears to have 7 in the nest, so her largest litter to date. Calliope seems to have 6-7. I have tried to count them, but doing so while trying not to disturb them or the mama's too much, since how many has no real significant bearing on anything, other than I'm curious!!
I got a fun little pack in the mail from the Luffa Farm. I did not know this, but Luffa, Loofa, Loufa, or any other of the many spellings, are gourds. Not sure why, but I like a great many people thought those rough little bath sponges were some sort of sea thing. Well, they are gourds, and apparantly capable of being grown in NH, with some season extending efforts, such as planting them inside to start, then transplanting when warm enough and possibly putting a hoop over them in the fall for a couple weeks. Seem fun, and if you have them growing in your yard you can use them for all sorts of cleaning, like scrubbing pots, or cleaning your car (if you were into that sort of thing). But basically, they can be used for anything, not just for bath time skin sloughing.
I ordered a couple small luffa and a pack of heirloom seeds from the Luffa Farm in California. I got to talk to the woman whom I bought them from and got some growing tips, so when I get my seed starting soil in the next day or so, I'm going to give them a try. The Luffas that I purchased are quite lovely. They are fine grained, and quite soft, compared with what you find with store bought versions. They are quite pleasant to wash with.
I also made a great new bead. This bead has me so excited that I even located a place to bring my oxygen concentrators for a tune up so I can get back to making beads more often. I have ideas swimming in my head, and it's been a good deal of time that that has happened. I also really want to finish making the knobs for my kitchen, and have 3 more of those to do. I also may have a knob commission in the near future, with someone who wants to redo their kitchen. That is pretty exciting. Well, anyway, enough about what I hope to make, take a look at what I did make.
Oh, and I didn't tell you last night because I went on and on about that huge meal, but I also finished the dress I started last week. It fits great, was quite comfortable to wear and looks nice...even I think it looks nice. I used fold over elastic on the neck and arms trim and pulled it ever so slightly as I applied it so that it would keep the lines firm. I find with dresses I make myself, the front sort of wants to fall away from my body just a bit, and I don't like that. This solved that problem, and applying it inside out gave a matte finish to the elastic, so it doesn't look like lycra binding. The bodice is embroidered linen and the skirt is black linen.
I had fun with the tie.
- I serged the edges of a long strip that was wider than I wanted it to be.
- Positioned it over the spot that the bodice and skirt fabric meet.
- Stitched along the join of the two fabrics.
- Folded the top of the tie down, so that it had the layered look, and because I didn't line it all up perfectly, some spots are more overlapped than others, which was my goal.
- I stitched along the fold so the top would always stay down.
- I only did this from one seam allowance to the other so that the tie can be tied in back.
I'm not sure if I'll use the pattern, as is, again any time soon, since the dress is not breast feeding friendly, but the fit is good, so I may make some strap modifications, or something.