I found a very bright yellow dresser at a second hand store, and after a little discussion, paid $22.00 and put it in my car.
I'm bad at remember "before" pictures, as I always want to dive in to a new project, but the whole thing was the color of the drawers, and here it has been sanded, and partially primed.
One of the drawers was not an original, and was a poorly done attempt to match the original, so I decided to remove it and place a piece of wood, covered in my kitchen fabric, in it's place, to make a perfect spot for pint canning jars and a basket.
I sanded, primed and then put a coat of green paint, followed by a coat of aqua. While the aqua was drying I rubbed some paint off, to reveal the green undercoat. I then sanded to remove more aqua, as well as getting down to bare wood, in a couple spots. The drawer pulls were taken off a dresser that belonged to my Great Grandparents. I love that the cool old, solid wood dresser, with glass knobs, had it's home in the shop, holding Great Grampa's screws, and such. It's a beautiful piece of furniture and will find it's way into a home again, but for now it is still in the the old shop that has housed it for decades, and the knobs look great on their new dresser.
This lovely piece of furniture has found a spot in the entry way. It will hold the box for our keys, a drawer will be devoted to mittens and hats, and the rest will be a "junk drawer". Yes, sad but true, I realized that I have 5-6 various junk drawers in this house. Quite silly, as it causes much time spent searching when I need an elastic, thumbtack, or any other sort of doodad, that isn't valuable enough to really have it's own place, but should not be thrown away, for fear I will need it as soon as I do. I'm hoping this central "junk drawer" will allow for better organization and less time spent searching.
My cousin is married to a lovely fellow, who has a beard. Why do I tell you this? Because for Halloween, she wants to dress her 16 month old son as his father. She got the idea when she saw a bearded hat on Etsy. She contacted me, back in July, to see if I thought I could make such a hat. Sure, I can do that...then I promptly forgot. Well, earlier this week she checked in, so I pulled out some yarn and started to whip up a hat. The hat pattern is Rib-A-Roni, and can be found on Ravelry.
The beard was something I just figured out as I went. I started by picking up and knitting the beard, onto the hat. After trying it on Mini who has a 19" head, and The Baby who has a 17" head, I decided that there needed to be flexibility in sizing, as Eli has an 18" head, and I have no idea how the proportions work out. So I removed the finished beard, bound off, and then sewed buttons into the inside of the hat. The seed stich for the beard is loose enough to just slip over the button, without the need of making button holes, so the beard is fully adjustable. It is going to be mailed off tomorrow, and should be in PA in time for his Wednesday Party at Day Care.
The bearded ladies were amused with the hat modeling, and were a huge help in figuring out the sizing. The hat is made of Galway 100% Worsted Wool, and the beard is Malabrigo Merino, so it's super soft. If he doesn't mind wearing it, it should make a very warm winter hat/face gaurd. But since the beard comes off, it could be a great winter hat for years to come.